What limitations do you face handgun hunting in your state by dnrec

In in my state we can not use semiautomatic pistols, must use straight walled cartridges revolver or single shoot pistol have a barrel length of no less then 5&3/4 inches and not longer than 14 inches 357 and up, may have rdm or scoped as well as gutter sights ( not to offend but around here it’s known as shooting Amish style, I’m one of those people that shoots that way hunting still) . And we’re restricted to the southern part of the state.

4 Likes

I’m curious as to what state you are in?

2 Likes

Our whole state is open to Handgun hunting , regular revolvers and muzzleloading pistols can be used in any gun season . Muzzleloading handguns must be .38caliber or larger . Here is the basic outlined in the regs.

Handgun Laws and Regulations A person who is not prohibited from possessing firearms by state or federal law may carry a firearm for self-defense. Only persons 18 years old or older are eligible for a Class A-1 or Class A-1-L stamp. Only revolvers or pistols having a barrel at least 4 inches in length are legal for hunting. While hunting, the licensee shall carry the revolver or pistol outside his/ her outer clothing, in an unconcealed and easily visible place. A revolver or pistol may be used only during established hunting seasons. Only single-shot muzzleloading pistols of .38 caliber or larger are legal for hunting deer during the muzzleloader season. It is legal to hunt groundhogs in open fields with a revolver or pistol. IT IS ILLEGAL TO: • take migratory game birds with a pistol. • hunt between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise with a revolver or pistol larger than .22 caliber centerfire. • hunt bear, deer or wild boar with a revolver or pistol using a straight-walled case of less than .357 magnum cartridge or a bottle-necked case of less than .24 caliber. • hunt bear, deer or wild boar with a muzzleloading pistol of less than .38 caliber

2 Likes

I’m in Delawhere

3 Likes

Man that sucks :confused:

2 Likes

Dude I’d love to use my Glock 22 for deer hunting here since most shots are within 25 yards and deer dressed out usually run under 80lbs. But I’m using a replica colt peacemaker in 45 colt and it’s worked out well for me so far.

3 Likes

45colt is a great round especially short range.

2 Likes

Your so right and even loaded with B/P packs a whalop at close range for us poor souls but I am on the lookout for a Ruger super Blackhawk in 44 mag or 45 colt

3 Likes

44mag is much easier to find ammo for and a 300grain pill from a 44 will drop any deer in its tracks i know cause I done it quite a few times. .454casull Never had one take more than 2 steps . Last couple deer I shot with my .460 dropped dead in their tracks

4 Likes

I have pribably taken at keast 25 deer with a handgun buck and doe. Probably another 30 with a rifle 30-06,300 winmag.

3 Likes

Rifle hunting still using 30-06 does a lot from light bullitz to the heavy rounds and because of the ranges we shoot deer, 44 spl is good enough

3 Likes

Absolutely 44spl will do it. I love anything 44 and 45 those are my favorites but lately been gittin" an itch for maybe a 50caliber. like 500 S&W . First deer I took with a revolver was with a 44mag.

2 Likes