New Classics

Pistol caliber 94’s

Hawken replica, Sharps replica, Model 8

4 Likes

Williams peep sight on that winchester? Saddle scabbard … I take it you do some riding ?? What calibers? ?

2 Likes

Williams peep and a butter knife front blade, 45 Colt. Won the rifle side match at the Elmer Keith Last Dance shoot with it in 2022. Couple others 44 mag and 357 mag of course. Brother had the scabbard made many moons ago. If I had a horse it would be laying on the couch next to the dogs waiting for snack time.

3 Likes

You live in the perfect country for a Hay Burner !!! I grew up riding horses . My Dad and my Gradfather ( Andy Grantham who was a cook on a small ranch in AZ for older cowboys ** as he told it**) they had usually about 65 head of cattle and we ran scabbards on both horses . We had several packs of wild dogs ( killed calves) and we dispatched them over a period of a few years. We carried 94’s in 30-30 caliber. My brother ended up with Dads 30-30. :joy: :joy: :joy: snack time who doesnt like that !!

2 Likes

Found this photo on the “Big Show”, another saddle ring '94 with a Williams peep.

3 Likes

The grips on the revolver remind me of Ram horn or possibly mammoth ivory ? It is sorta hard to tell. Love the looks of both of those.

3 Likes

What year did they quit putting the saddle ring on those 94’s . My grandfathers 30-30 was nickel plated a very old model with a saddle ring. The barrel was either 24 or 26" and I house sat for him one winter while him and Granny went back out to Congress ,AZ . I used it to shoot a Doe at about 100 yards. It was a huge snow on. I remember shooting and thought I missed well here came another one and when it got to about the same spot where I shot the other one she jumped up the hill. So I got up from behind my bushes and sure enough she was dead. The rifle was nickel plated 24 or 26" model 94 with buckhorn rear sights and seem to remember a flip up of some type also. May be wrong . I was just 17 yrs. Old.

2 Likes

I think Winchester put rings on them right up to the end. Just guessing.

3 Likes

Well my dad had one that did not have the ring. I was just doing some reading and I do believe it was a nickel steel barrel . And it read .30WCF ( or as it came to be known 30-30) I remember asking my grandfather about it. I wanted the Gun ask him for it but he gave it to his oldest Son in El Paso and I dare say he probably didn’t give 2 flips about having it. I have always wished I would have tried to get it back.

1 Like

Both my little trappers have the ring…

My 94’ Trails end does not.

BW

4 Likes

Anyone interested in my latest project single action?
BW

2 Likes

And those rings can be ordered and installed on the later models but the Carbines and other early models came with them standard .

1 Like

Welcome to Sixgun Fraternity @bandbw123 glad to have you with us.

1 Like

By all means proceed Im all ears…

1 Like
1 Like

Welcome to the forum, and of course!

2 Likes

Dealing with antique Winchester’s as much as i do. I thought i would pass on some knowledge. The 1894 could be ordered with or without the saddle ring. The same is true for rifles and carbines. I have seen rifles documented to have a saddle ring and quite a few carbines that have no saddle ring. I even own a carbine from 1929 with no saddle ring. They are common enough that collectors sometimes call those carbines with no saddle ring “eastern carbines”.
Just thought i would pass that along.
Sam

3 Likes

I will say my Dad having lived in AZ for years and my Grandfather who was from AZ probably was the only Guys around that punched their cattle with horses on a regular basis. We used heavy leather flaps and even carried wire and tools to fix fence from time to time. WV country is steep and rugged a tractor dont stand a chance most of the time. We kept 9 head of horses but only had 2 winchesters on with one without saddle ring. That saddle ring is useful though to keep it from sliding out of that scabbard though.

This is my Frontier Six Shooter Cattle brand project. It started out as a pretty rough, though all original, 1904/05 shipped Colt SAA FSS…pictured below

I then sent it to Harris engraving, where David W Harris polished and mended several areas, prior to his daughter(Tiffany) doing a beautiful cattle brand engraving, plus some extras…fire bluing all the pins, screw heads(including engraving), hammer, ejector, etc.

And the results, thus far, are a stunningly engraved original FSS, including a few unique brands and pics.

It still needs a set of custom grips…any suggestions?
Enjoy,
BW

2 Likes

Does anyone recognize the three cattle brands running down the back strap?

2 Likes