The Man the Myth and Legend; John Taffin

Today i got a call from a friend of mine, who asked if i could close my gun shop for the day? I asked why? He wanted to take me to meet Mr. John Taffin!
I want to say after spending the better part of the day with Mr Taffin, he is a fine humble man despite his many achievements!
We discussed Elmer Keith, my favorite cartridge the 41 Special, handgun hunting, grips, custom revolvers, and much more.
It was a bucket list type visit! My visit with Mr Taffin showed he is a man of character, honest, and just pure gentleman! His wife was the perfect fit for such a man! Diamond Dot lived up to her name!

4 Likes

Man oh Man !!! that is terrific, What a great experience. Humbleness is a trait of strong man for sure. I am totally envious. John Taffin has been the inspiration for all my “big bore revolver” years the last 21 yrs, If I should ever get that same privilege it would be an honor. John’s writings are on here now.

2 Likes

I’m a big Black Sabbath fan and got to see an original set by the original members, but you getting that one on one time with John does make me envious :grin:

I’m happy both for your having experienced that and grateful for your sharing it too :hugs:

Now go back and get some pics!

3 Likes

How do you know I did not take pictures? Lol
When he asked what i carried as my daily carry gun? I handed him my ivory stocked Colt SAA 1st gen from 1901. He looked it over and complimented me on the restoration. We talked about the load i use in my colt saa, 1873s and 1892.
When he asked about my leather, i showed him everything i wear is custom made. My cowboy hat is custom made Rand, my boots are custom made Valdez boots, my belt, ammo holders, chinks, sun glasses case and all leather are made by a friend of mine from when we cowboyed together.
Mr Taffin was impressed as only a former working cowboy would have that level of custom….everything. Even my pocket guns are customized by me.

4 Likes

That is just flat awesome. a Truly Great experience. Looks as though Mr. Taffin put you through the paces :joy:

2 Likes

Saml what a great experience/adventure. Thank you,
BW

3 Likes

Thank you!! It is a day i will remember the rest of my life!!!

2 Likes

I have a few of Mr Taffin’s books. A couple are autographed. I’m a big fan of his writings, but have never met the man. That would be a bucket list meeting for sure.

3 Likes

It was a bucket list meeting for me as well. That is what I called it when i was asked if i would close my gunshop for the day and drive over the hill to boise. That is a bucket list meeting!!! Heck yeah! It was worth it for sure!!!
Which books of his are your favorites?
Mine is hands down single action sixguns!
Later this year they are coming out with an updated version with something like 20 more chapters!!! I cant wait!!!
Sam

2 Likes

I can see the sign on the door,

Going to have lunch with John, bye!

1 Like

Actually that is funny to us becausewe know the inside scoop. People get upset when i am closed.
So ATF tells gunshops to never post signs “closed gone on vacation be back June 14th regular hours”.
This tells people when they can rob you. So if i am out due to doctors appointment or my dads funeral or just went to the gunshow, i never give the reason. The sign just says closed. I get angry voice mails on the answering machine or angry emails.
Oh well nothing i can do about that!
I just try my best and move on!

2 Likes