Politically wrong, tasteless and wrong

For most of my sixgunning existence, I was referred to as a Mountain Man, a title I did not seek, which was bestowed upon me.
In this life there was always one paramount duality; never was there enough in resources to get everything needed, but what one did have must work. If it didn’t work, it was fixed. If it worked without being fixed perfectly it was kept, if it didn’t it went by the wayside.
One of the main reasons I never posted that much, aside from not having any internet for long periods of time, is the fact that such a lifestyle doesn’t produce guns and gear to brag about.
My Ruger Blackhawk didn’t get even decent grips until a friend, who has since passed away, baisically threw them at me.
So, with that in mind, I’m going to say something nobody is going to want to hear-one of the best holsters my old 'Hawk ever rested in was affordable black nylon, top strap side snap.
Over time the finish took on the appearance of an old snowmobile seat left for too long under the sun.
The ‘Hawk had trained its shape to bulge awkwardly at the cylinder, but never once did that nylon holster do what leather ones have done, and have strange bits of leather fall off and join the caliche’. I figured out how to carry it either strong side, or cross draw, which I started to prefer for reasons I won’t bore anyone with.
That nylon didn’t balk once in the downpour when I had to round up and herd off a group of very aggressive trespassers. It didn’t fail in 30 below, when it was get a fire going, or die as an ice cube. It survived thrashing by branches, getting roughly stuffed between seats in the old 4wd, and it was there if I needed when I faced down two nasty atv’ers who wished me nothing well.
I sure like leather. I enjoy knowing it came from a living being who passed their time under the sky. I won’t argue with anyone who says the best of the best tell everyone to get a great holster, and when its worn replace it.
But life in the mountains is a different reality.

6 Likes

@MAK
Please don’t tell anyone but I have a 40 year old Uncle Mike’s for a Smith 422. Works good for my purposes.

5 Likes

I have an uncle Mikes holster for my H&R 676 12" 22 revolver .

4 Likes

I have one or two around too.

4 Likes

They hold up pretty well.

4 Likes

So several years back close to 20 yrs. Ago my Dad and I went revolver hunting for black bear both of us using Uncle Mikes Holsters both actually bandolier in style. And the mountains in WV are full of mountain laurel ,Rhodadendren (which is our state flower) well to shorten this story we was hunting in the snow following some fresh tracks and they went into a Laurel thicket we followed. Well we got into a rather bad situation crawling over and under laurel that bark rubbed and scrapped those holsters terribly but never tore never left any scratches and our weapons never were damaged. We literally crawled where we had that reddish bark all over us. …lol those holsters are tough. I currently have a leather bandolier for my big hunting revolver . But my smaller 44mag wears a Nylon holster!

4 Likes

Also wanted to add @MAK your post brought back alot of memories. My Dad is passed away ,but it is one of my favorite hunting experiences with a revolver. GPS and Nylon both came through for us that day assuring we made it back to the trail with revolvers intact.

3 Likes

I just remember all the gun gurus, like Clint Smith, having nothing but nasty to say about nylon. Well, I never was an elitist. If something worked, and held up under tough conditions it had a place in my life.
Never once did the nylon impede pulling the gun, literally not once. This was not true of leather.
Its just one of those things concerning sixguns that all the experts said was wrong, bad, horrible!
Well, I never saw one one of them in my mountains-ever-and I know they didn’t live my life either.
Nuff said.

5 Likes

As in retention strap to stiff causing hang up or?

3 Likes

I won’t mention names, because it might have been just my one off experience, but it was actually in the construction of the holster itself, from a brand name company, that the front sight would hang up enough to cause drag unless one pulled exactly upwards.
I also didn’t find the way the holster fit the belt to be all that useful, either. In the end, it looked a lot better, and fuctioned a lot worse than nylon.

5 Likes

One thing I have discovered myself @MAK is the “all weather” capabilities of nylon far surpass that of Leather. Seeing how my leather holster for my latest and greatest boomer came from Triple K I put my rig on then put my water proof coat on over top of it.
I will say I received my rig from triple K and the shoulder straps were so dry the first time I put it on one of them Cracked and ripped. So I emailed them …
Literally no response came from them.
I was looking on line was gonna order some leather and make a replacement piece. Then low and behold I had a package show up. I hadn’t ordered anything.
I opened it up and it was a complete replacement from Triple K. This time it was in great shape. I WAS SHOCKED !!!
I emailed them and thanked them . (No response again )
Lol I mean what do you expect they are from Kalifornia .
But I gotta hand it to em they stood by their product .

3 Likes

I have had a couple experiences like that over the years, just ready to start cussing them and a new one shows up. Why they don’t return email never know.

5 Likes

It is weird isnt it .
I mean something as simple as,… A new one is on the way.
Seems so odd.

3 Likes

Guys, I dunno if they’re anything like me, but if they are this 'puter thing is faceless, and after a while tiring, and after a while longer something that just devoured the entire day. Not saying thats the case, but when a guy has work to do he doesn’t just reach for the keyboard.
Fair winds to all.

4 Likes

This is the one.

4 Likes

I love being Politically Wrong :joy: :joy:
I will welcome that moniker.
The simple life is the best.

3 Likes

But if he didn’t reach for the keyboard he wouldn’t have known I had a problem, and wouldn’t have sent replacement. :sunglasses:

4 Likes